Sunday 22 December 2019

Creating order from ebay chaos

Hi Chaps,

As Christmas approaches (seasons greetings all) I have been spending very thriftly and my painting fix has arrived via an ebay purchase. After watching a youtube video by Lukes Aps-found here...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsmD5774MOQhjYBkXqu3Jdw

I was enthused enough to try and strip paint from plastic minis. Given that one can often buy figures for half price or less on fleabay it had to be worth a shot. So I purchased a bunch of Games Workshop elves and gave them a bath in methylated spirits-I do have a cleaner that probably helped to speed up the process which was painfully easy even for me... 20 minutes tops.

A little paint remained after scrubbing and another dip in the meths would have taken it off but I decided it would not be worth the time and effort. The figures that had been painted had a THICK coat of paint on that I was sure would never move... but it did...


Within 30 minutes of fiddling around I took this picture and 10 minutes later another picture with the undercoat on... despite two swords being broken the figures were very acceptable and ready to take paint.


Painting these figures is not really a pleasant experience for me as they are the small side of 28mm which is standard for Perry designed miniatures generally. I do prefer more heroic scale figures as this helps my old eyes but the bowmen are practically done and will work for any games system as Elves.


The 16 figures cost just under £8 including delivery, I am not sure how much they would be buying from Games Workshop but I expect probably double that. Two more "sets" have been purchased which total around 40 men of Rohan which will need a chemical bath to prepare them but for less than 50p per figure it is worth the 30 minutes of messing about. 

I do recommend buying plastic figures if you are financially challenged (like myself) or if you just want to have a go at painting something different on the cheap it does make sense-the methylated spirits was £1.75 and can be used again and again-do wear gloves if you have any cuts on your fingers though as the meths can sting.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

PS 

Lukes Aps Arid Grasslands base ready is great for finishing bases, cheap and speedy delivery as well.








7 comments:

  1. Great result. I have a batch of medieval figures which could do with some serious paint stripping. I'll try metholated spirits once the weather warms up so I can vent the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it will strip them for you... I used a toothbrush and a little dental tool to scrape out the worst but the paint was really thick.

      Delete
  2. What a great result, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bargain and they look great. Merry Christmas to you and your family! 🌲🌲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, thanks and seasons greetings to you as well-hope that you had a great time.

      Delete
  4. Mate, you did those up a treat! I ordered a tub of bio strip from Amazon a while back and that works really well for stripping paint from plastic and metal. It doesn’t smell as bad as meths and tramps don’t die from drinking it, (citation required).

    Another great article!

    ReplyDelete