Friday 31 March 2017

Old Empire destined for Age of Sigmar

Hi Chaps,

I hope you are all ready for the weekend and have painting and gaming sessions planned? I know that I have a few hours "booked in" at my paint desk in the hope of creating a passable unit or two out of some old GW Empire troops.

Back in the day (probably late 80's or early 90's) I was a "serious" war gamer and only used Games Workshop for their paints and brushes...though I did like the Bretonnians. Anyway despite admiring the Warhamme Empire models they were actually more expensive than my usual war gaming figures so I never actually bought any. Well actually I used to buy the odd figure to paint because they were exceptionally good quality but you get the broad picture.

So now 20 or so years later as I wander around ebay I occasionally come across Bretonnians and Empire from the -I think-5th edition and I do sometimes have the winning bid.


The cannon above was unjustifiable when released new but now as part of a job lot I calculate that it and every figure it came with cost 50p each.....

Obviously these guys have seen better days and some detail has been lost (broken spear heads mainly) but I will rectify or ignore this. The bases are now 25mm round to fit in with my age of Sigmar fad and will tomorrow begin the process of receiving paint in an attempt to give these guys a new lease of life.


This chap is now stood alone on a 25mm base but the thing next to him is driving me nuts-what is it? It does look like a stand for a rifle but is too high....


So here are the musket men except now all on round bases, it will be fun to paint these old guys which I think are some of the best sculpts to ever come out of GW.....I knew that if I was patient that I would eventually have an Empire army! That 20 year wait was nothing...nothing I tell you.

Keep blogging Chaps and have a great weekend.


5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what it's called, but I think that thing next to the cannonball guy is the stick they would use to fire off the cannon. I think it wouldn't be that chunky in real life, but neither would the men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fitz, I think you are right. I asked on facebook (an age of Sigmar page) and this seems to be the most common response. The figures are chunky....stood next to a Perry miniature they almost look a different scale.

      Delete
  2. It's a very large Portfire. Horrible and out of scale as is a lot of GW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon-I now have a name for the thing! I will paint it when I source a master gunner...thanks fo rthat.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete