Friday, 19 May 2017

First 28mm Vehicle Kit.

Hi Chaps,

This was a week to forget so I bought a little treat in the form of an Sdkfz 222. I always liked this vehicle and as a child I treasured my Matchbox 1/76 version for many years (where did that go?). Anyway I have never built a kit bigger than 20mm scale so when I saw this monster sized version for less than £10 I thought that I would give it a go.


Possibly this is an old Tamiya model but I cannot be sure....what I do know is that some of the lugs did not seem to fit or be in the right spot to take the front mudguards. Obviously I am no model maker but this kit seemed odd to make. The wheels are a weak point and I will have to base the model to protect it but other than that it looks OK.




At some point I will add stowage and a few helmets/jerry cans to give a lived in look but overall I am happy with how it turned out. Indeed this has been a great distraction and a welcome change from Empire figures.

As every war gamer knows this is how new armies start and next payday may well see an order to Warlord Games for just a few more figures.....and then Plastic soldier company for their excellent value Russian box. I am so used to this process now that I don't even bother to fight it...

Keep blogging guys.

16 comments:

  1. You did a terrific job on this first effort in the larger scale. One thing to note - this model is 1:48 scale. All the models from Warlord will be 1:56. The difference is noticeable particularly if you were to purchase a second 222.There is plenty of plastic out there in that scale and I believe that you can get more vehicles in resin from Blitzkrieg Miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celtic that is a good point! I had not realised that there would be a difference! Price was the main reason for buying this but I will check out the size difference before I buy next time

      Delete
  2. A great job there and the colouring weathering look top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out nicely. Some kits are a bugger to assemble. I remember three cheap 1/72 Daimler ACs by a Russian manufacturer (whose name escapes me) I bought some years ago. They were terrible things to glue together, and paint seemed to slough off them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know who you mean...they made a boardgame as well. This took paint but the instructions were not very clear at all.

      Delete
  4. Looking good! I like how weathering turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nimrod, it was fun to paint but now I need figures to go with it.

      Delete
  5. Superb work! What a great job you have done on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, it was a change from fantasy...now I just need more figures

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Monty this was a real change of pace and a stress buster.

      Delete
  7. That looks superb! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Legatus, this was a cheap model so I felt like I could just paint it regardless of the outcome.

      Delete
  8. Looks awesome. One of my favourite WW2 vehicles as well. I hope to get on of these myself when I eventually get my Fallschirmjagers on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I was always put off the paras because of the camo but they look the best German troops by far. I look forward to seeing you create a force with those guys!

      Delete