Friday, 16 December 2016

Painting and thinking of the past...

Hi Chaps,

I don't really do the reminiscing thing too often just in case I come across a painful memory that I become stuck on but today seemed to be an exception.

Since the birth of Victoria I have had less painting time than usual but today was a great opportunity to start a new army. For two hours I had the painting table to myself and I beavered away at some Caesar WW2 French. Many years ago Matchbox released the Char B1 and the Ft17 as a kit and I loved it...I bought the only box in my local toy shop (Mrs Heinz's in Bamber Bridge) and then engineered a way to buy another box in the metropolis of Preston. The 1970's where a strange time for us oldies!.

The urge to gather a French force was fueled by Gavin Lyall's "Operation Warboard" which I read until it fell apart in my hands (but still kept as one would a sacred book). I wanted an army to fight my Matchbox 1/76 scale Germans...painted with Humbrol enamels and based on card...

Well shaking my head and it now being 35 years later here I am painting 1/72 scale French to fight some plastic Germans though this time using Bolt Action as a rule set. I wonder if Mr Lyall would be smiling at what he started all those years ago? There was no Xbox or even in my house a colour TV, maybe this contributed to my using my imagination to create a world that I could control??

Have a read at the reviews if you are curious or once had a copy....

http://lonewarriorswa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Review-Aird-Operation-Warboard-Lyall.pdf


Probably the best war games book I owned until Richard Marsh and Colin Rumford stepped up with Rapid Fire...succeeded by Alessio Cavatore, Rick Priestley with Bolt Action. In a nutshell my history of war gaming for the last 40 years! I do hope that I have stirred some memories or encouraged anyone younger than 30 to glance at our war gaming heritage.

Keep blogging Chaps, our today will soon be history!

6 comments:

  1. Some great memories. Makes me want to dig out the mass of 1/72 plastics I have in the attic. Maybe not paint them but just to look. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find time to use your old 1?72 I think we gamers do not appreciate them enough.

      Delete
  2. I bought that same dual kit! I made the FT17 but not the Char B for some reason. I believe my wargaming son-in-law has them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that the kit is still in the family! Matchbox must have sold so many of these?

      Delete